Friday, July 20, 2007

FO Report: Something Blue


Pattern: Something Red, by Wendy Bernard
Yarn: Cascade 220 Heathers, Cobalt Heather
Needles: KnitPicks Options, size 7
Started: June 7, 2007
Finished: July 14, 2007
Modifications: Substantial - Cascade 220 produces a different row and stitch gauge than the Blue Sky Cotton Wendy used. I had to recalculate the number of cast on stitches and the raglan shaping to get the same effect. Barbara Walker's Knitting From the Top was a huge help. While I was at it, I threw in a purl stitch here and there to add a slight bit of texture to the stockinette section. The ratio was every 8th stitch on every 6th row, but they were offset to create something of a diamond shape. The long sleeves are an option in Wendy's pattern.

Overall, I'm happy with the cardigan - for now. Two things about it which bug me a bit: the collar seems a little loose down the front, like maybe I bound off too loosely. It looks as though it has been stretched downward, and doesn't have the elasticity you would expect. The other thing is the position of the button and buttonhole. I think I would prefer them a bit higher up, but I put them at the start of the ribbing, so consequently I would prefer the ribbing to start a bit higher also. That involves quite a bit more work than tightening up the cast off edge on the collar. But if I ripped back and started the ribbing higher, I would be forced to fix the collar! Anyway, more work than I want to do to it now, and I can live with it the way it is for a while. Problem is, it's in the 90s here now, not good wool sweater weather. BTW, Wendy's patterns are very stylish and fabulously written :)

3 comments:

Robin said...

gorgeous! You did a fine job, especially with all those modifications... Love the color, I am such a sucker for heathered wool!

Kat said...

Wow, it looks GREAT!!! I agree, this is NOT great sweater-wearing weather, and I'm looking forward to it cooling off so that I can go back to wearing my knitted stuff. :-)

Can't wait to see it in person!

Delana said...

Ooooo that sweater looks great! Nice color on you too.