Thursday, January 18, 2007

FO Report: Mystery Stole 2, aka Scheherazade

Pattern: Mystery Stole 2, a.k.a. Scheherazade by Melanie of Pink Lemon Twist
Yarn: KnitPicks Bare Lace-weight Merino
Needles: Bryspun Flexible size 4 Circulars
Started: July 9, 2006
Finished: January 15, 2007

I really finished knitting this, oh back in September I think? I originally handpainted 3 skeins of yarn for this stole, but the one I finished the stole with was just slightly lighter than the one I started with. I knew I needed to re-dye the entire stole, but was trying to make up my mind about something else. I had seen a picture of someone (don't ask who, or where, this was at least four months ago) who had also knitted the edging on the sides as well as the ends. The pattern only called for it on the sides. She had mentioned she had to fiddle with the numbers to get it to fit on the sides. I thought it was really, really pretty, but was tired of working on it. So, I set it aside while I tried to figure out what to do.


Finally last weekend I decided I needed to just go ahead and finish it. I put the entire stole and the leftover laceweight (at least 400 yards) into the crockpot with some red and some black dye, let it stew for four hours or so, then rinsed twice. There was no residual dye, which really surprised me. I blocked it Monday night, and viola! Another finished object! It always amazes me how much blocking changes lace patterns. I love this stole! It is just the right weight, and I love the color much more than I did the original color :)

This is the swatch and one of the skeins of yarn in the original color I painted - sort of a tomato red.
The finished modeled shots! The photo doesn't do justice to the final color. It's more of a deep, rich wine color.

2 comments:

Procrastiknitter said...

Wow, you are a knitting machine girl! All that time in the house is helping with one thing I guess! Hold on for the snowstorm that's coming. ((HUGS)) I promise I'll get back Owasso sometime.

Anonymous said...

The shawl is beautiful - I love the color!