Saturday, November 17, 2007

FO Report: Juliet

Pattern: Juliet by ZephyrStyle, knit in the longer style

Yarn: KnitPicks Swish Superwash, Fired Brick
Needles: KnitPicks Options, US Size 8
Started: October 16, 2007
Finished: November 6, 2007

Modifications: I knit this in single stranded worsted weight yarn rather than the bulky weight or double stranded worsted called for. I recalculated the pattern based on the gauge I got in my test swatch. I started off knitting the large size (with my adjusted number of stitches), and knit as far as binding off the sleeves and joining the body. I thought the sleeves were way too loose, and the body had a little too much room too. I checked the pattern and found the medium size started off with the same number of stitches as the large, so I ripped back a couple of inches, cast off a little tighter for the sleeves, joined the body again, and then the fit was perfect!



I also opted to have a single clasp where the garter stitch meets the lace, rather than the buttons across the chest. I thought this was a more flattering look for me. I hand stitched some grosgrain ribbon to the wrong side around this point of the sweater to give it some stability. Actually I measured around myself at this point, added an inch of ease, and added another inch to allow for both ended of the ribbon to be turned under. I then sewed it on by hand, and washed and blocked the sweater after that.
I can't seem to get a decent modeled shot to save my live, so this one will have to do for now :)

4 comments:

Emma said...

It looks great. I love the color. Congratulations!

Robin said...

That turned out really nice! I like the idea of doing one clasp at the bottom instead of the buttons. The color is great too.

Kat said...

No wonder I like yours so much better than all the others I've seen! I don't tend to like items in bulky yarns, and yours is so much more elegant in the lighter-weight yarn.

Beautiful!!!

Knittygoodness said...

WOW….I’m seriously impressed. Nice to ‘meet’ you Penny! Thanks so much for spoiling me rotten during SP11. I’ve already started playing around with the magic loop method. I’m loving it.

Monika