Friday, December 14, 2007

FO Report: Debbie Bliss Sailor Collar Cardigan

Pattern: Sailor Collar Cardigan by Debbie Bliss from Sirdar Baby Knits #275
Yarn: Phildar Phil Luxe
Needles: Knitpicks Options, size 3 and 1
Started: May 27, 2007
Completed: November 27, 2007
Modifications: None.


The pattern called for Sirdar Snuggly 4-Ply, but I substituted the Phildar yarn because it was what I could find locally that would work. I don't remember why I chose not to order the Sirdar yarn online - I think I wanted to swatch first before I decided? Anyway, I wanted a washable yarn since I made this for Sweetpea, and I do expect her to wear it, which means it will get quite messy occasionally. I found it cheap in a LYS, and I think it was on clearance. The label is yellowed which gives some indication of the age. I used 5 skeins, and almost had to rip out my swatch to have enough yarn to seam it together. I had mere inches left when I was finished!



This took me FOREVER to finish, but it was too cute to abandon completely! Although, I don't think I ever want to knit another bobble in my life. As I posted a couple of weeks ago, there are 262 bobbles on this cardi. I don't know whether it was the way I knit them, or if it was the nature of the acrylic, but they all wanted to sink through to the wrong side. To correct this (because trust me, I couldn't leave them looking like that), I took some white sewing thread and made a "X" stitch, or an asterisk looking stitch, on the backside of each one, then pulled the thread tight. I then secured the thread, cut it and moved on to the next bobble. This forced the bobbles to the right side. If you need more detail or technicalities of how I did this, feel free to ask. Sweetpea loves her "pwutty sweatah" and has wore it every day since it finished blocking. In fact, it was a struggle to keep her from wearing it to bed. I told her the sweater needed some "rest" too ;)




FYI - The book is discontinued, but I have seen it on ebay before.








4 comments:

Robin said...

Oh, that is a super cute picture!!

Ilix said...

Great sweater! Your sweetpea looks marvalous in it!

Robin said...

So precious, that is an heirloom!
Now you get to watch her like a hawk when she's wearing it, LOL!
I remember last Christmas my ADORABLE little neice was wearing a snow white fancy sweater. Not even a hand knit, mind you. I shuddered at the thought of her getting into the usual mischief. Sure enough, she ended up somehow sticking an elbow in her pie. BLUEBERRY PIE. How did she manage this; I'll never know. You can bet that if she was wearing a blueberry colored sweater; she'd manage to stay clean. But white is like ASKING FOR IT, on that child.
I'll stop now.

Knittygoodness said...

it may have been a pain to knit but it really turned out GREAT....

And Sweetpea is adorable!