Saturday, December 01, 2007

FO Report: Alligator Scarf

Pattern: Alligator Scarf by Morehouse Farm
Yarn: Morehouse Merino, Everglades
Needles: Size 5 KnitPicks Options
Started: October 24, 2007
Completed: November 14, 2007
Modifications: I added two extra repeats to the Main Body section of the pattern to make it a bit longer, and worked the tail decreases one stitch in from the edge, rather than right on the edge.

I ordered this kit from Morehouse Farms because BHE saw it in an ad in one of my knitting magazines and commented on it. He never comments on anything, so I thought it would make a pretty good Christmas gift for him. This was really pretty fast, I just couldn't knit on it anytime there was a chance he could walk in the room. In fact, one night he thought I was sick because I heard him coming and stuffed it under the quilt that was on my legs. When he walked in the room, I was just sitting there, watching TV, and NOT KNITTING!!! Close call!

My only complaint was the yarn seemed to have a lot of VM in it, and even though I was getting gauge (stitch gauge only, the pattern didn't give row gauge), it was looking like it was going to end up a good 10-12 inches shorter than the pattern said. After a good soak and blocking, I got the correct length, and the yarn is considerably softer. I've ordered KnitPicks Swish DK (washable!) to make another for Monkeyboy.

4 comments:

Robin said...

wow that scarf is so cool, what little boy wouldn't LOVE IT!!

Emma said...

That is adorable. Great job!

Megan said...

Adorable! I found you via revelry -- I've queued this and thought I'd check out folks who've already knit it. May I ask what 'vm' is? My dh got me the kit, so I'll be knitting it with the same yarn. Thanks, and great job!

Penny said...

Meegan,

I sent you a message on Ravelry, but if you check here first "VM" is vegetable matter, like bits of dried leaves, grass, wood splinters, etc. It's not hard to pick out, but mildly annoying.