Tuesday, January 29, 2008

FO Report: Embossed Leaves Socks

Pattern: Embossed Leaves by Anne Budd, from Favorite Socks
Yarn: Panda Cotton, Baby Blues
Needles: U. S. size 2
Started: January 9, 2008
Finished: January 20, 2008
Modifications: Hmmm, I'm not sure if you can call it a modification, as much as a design feature (a.k.a. mistake). I decided for once I would knit a pair of socks exactly as written. These are knit top down, with a tubular cast on (my first!), and a stitch pattern that just flies by. I got to the heel flap, no problem, shaped the heel, no problem, picked up the stitches for the gussets, no problem. I started the decreases, and thought it looked a little odd, but kind of cool at the same time. They fit well, so I finished the first sock and started the second. It wasn't until I got down to the gusset of the second sock that I realized the error of my ways. The only deviation from the pattern was that I knit these socks magic loop style instead of on 4 dpns. My error occurred because of how the stitches were arranged on the circular needle verses how the designer intended for them to be on dpns. The end result was that my gusset decreases were on the bottom of the foot as opposed to the sides. I decided they still served their purpose, and I wasn't ripping back half of a sock just for the aesthetics, or to be as the designer intended, blah, blah, blah.



Anyway, I like the socks, love the stitch pattern, and love the yarn. It was a little splitty, but it is super soft, and I will definitely use it again!

No comments: