Tuesday, March 24, 2009

FO Report: Cosima































Pattern: Cosima from Berroco Booklet #281

Yarn: Elann Superwash Chunky, Merlot (can't find the yarn on Elann's website to link, so this link is to Ravelry)
Needles: US size 7 / 4.5 mm & US size 9 / 5.5 mm
Started: December 27, 2008
Finished: March 6, 2008

Modifications: The only things I really did differently were the cast on and bind off. I really like the Kitchener cast on and bind off. I think they give a really professional look to the garment. I did a little bit of work swapping knit and purl stitch positions to switch from 2x2 rib to 1x1. If any one wants detailed instructions on that, I'd be happy to oblige. The bind off did take quite a bit longer than a normal bind off, because basically you are Kitchenering 168 stitches to each other. In the end I think it was well worth the extra time and effort.

The yarn was a little splitty to work with, but I didn't have any problems since my needle tips are so sharp. It really didn't take that long to knit, but I procrastinated on the seaming. I typically do sweaters in the round that require very little seaming, but am becoming a big fan of Norah Gaughan's work (I'm not sure if this is her design or not), so I followed the pattern, with the exception of the cast on and bind off.

Also, washing and blocking really improved my love for this one. I washed it on delicate with Eucalan, and laid it out flat to dry. It dried quickly, and the fiber really relaxed. I was afraid it would be a little too tight, but after washing and blocking, it fits perfectly!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE!!! That really suits you ... a great FO and photo.

Anonymous said...

That turned out really cute! I like that color on you as well. Hope everything is going well for you.