Tuesday, April 10, 2007

FO Report: Ariann


Pattern: Ariann by Bonne Marie Burns of ChicKnits
Yarn: Salishan by KnitPicks
Needles: KnitPicks Options, sizes 6 and 7
Started: March 22, 2007
Finished: April 9, 2007
Modifications: I made the sleeves about an inch longer to accommodate my long arms, and made the body about two inches longer. I also added a buttonhole at the bottom. This took some amount of calculations to figure out where to start the waist shaping in relation to the buttonholes, so I would end up with a buttonhole the proper distance from the top, instead of two or three inches to low.

I love this cardigan! I love the pattern, the yarn, everything, and will definitely make it again. I actually started it March 17th on a road trip, but knit out all eleven inches because I had made a mistake with a buttonhole, and another mistake with the way I was knitting (instead of purling) the last stitch on the right side rows. I knew I was making the mistake, and kept on knitting, thinking it was a "design modification," but finally decided it would always bother me if I didn't fix it. So I ripped the entire thing out and started over on March 22nd. I used the Magic Loop technique for the sleeves, for the first time. I think I'm definitely a convert, and plan to switch my current socks over to a long circular!

The yarn is Salishan in Walnut. It was available very briefly last fall on KnitPicks website at clearance prices, and I loved the color, so I bought 14 skeins, at 95 yards each. I ended up using 11 skeins, plus about half of another. The yarn is a pima cotton / wool blend.

I think this is my fourth sweater for the Sweater-A-Month KAL. I'm going to wait a week or so before starting my next sweater. I'm not quite sure what I want to do yet, plus I have just under a week left before Tax Day! I don't need to stay up (too) late, falling in love with a new project, and for a few days after T-Day, I will need to do a major cleaning on my house.

You'll have to excuse look - its called End of Long Day Exhaustion. And really it's not the end - I'm headed back to work as soon as I tuck Monkeyboy into bed. I'll start posting more regularly next week!

7 comments:

Robin said...

Looks great!! You finished that one super quickly - I love the Knitty-style pose too. Happy April 15th!

Laura said...

Penny you are REALLY ROCKIN the knitting!! What the heck is Salishan? Discontinued yarn? You sure are making a lot of sweaters for an Oklahoma gal! :)

Procrastiknitter said...

Wow, you have been one busy bee! It looks fabulous and with all this cold weather and snow in APRIL!!! you can get good use of them! Love the color!

Shelby said...

You are so fast!! I wish I could knit a sweater that fast! I love the color and pattern! It looks so warm and comfy.

Ilix said...

Wow that looks great! Can't wait to see the next one!

Anonymous said...

Your Ariann turned out absolutely beautiful - what a great job you did with knitting it up! The colour looks so elegant too, and it sure has the perfect fit! Congrats on a great accomplishment!

Bonne Marie said...

Penny - you look FABULOUS! What a great job you did on this Ariann - I bow low to your mad skillz...

Gorgeous!