Thursday, September 14, 2006

20-Something Years Later...

Check it out - I go into Barnes & Noble last night after stitch group to look for a Barbara Walker knitting book. As I'm heading for the craft section, I cross paths with an employee who I think I don't know from Adam, and it turns out to be my best friend from Junior High! We were soooo close in 7th & 8th grade, and ended up going to different high schools but still stayed in touch. We lost touch when we were about 19, both living on our own in different parts of the country. He moved, I got married and changed my name, and we just lost contact. I have thought about him almost every day, and look for him whenever I'm in a big crowd of people, no matter whether I'm in my city or another. Anyway, I never would have recognized him on the street, he either shaves his head now, or is balding, and has a full mustache and beard. It felt so surreal to be talking to him! I've missed him so much, and I am so happy we ran into each other! Oh and in his many moves over the last umpteen years, one of the only possessions he has kept is a blue sweater I knit for him in junior high (I think I knit him more than one blue sweater, I'll have to find out which one it is). He said he still wears it every winter. How cool is that?

Edited to add: I'll have to knit him another sweater - I know all I used back then was 100% acrylic yarn from K-mart, back when K-mart used to sell yarn.

3 comments:

Laura said...

Oh my goodness!!! Wow. Does your husband get jealous about those kind of things?

I'd love to run into my best friend from junior high - I named my first daughter after her. It would be wonderful to visit with her - 20-something years later. :)

Procrastiknitter said...

Wow! I had a similar encounter at my work on Friday! Do you ahve a picture of the original sweater? Better yet....of him in it in junior high?

Penny said...

ooh, that's a great idea! I'm sure I have one somewhere. If I can find it, I'll post a picture!