Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Secret Pal 9 Questions

1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like? I like soft natural fibers, and don't like crunchy acrylics. For my high use items, like socks or cardigans I wear a lot, I prefer machine washable yarns, since I'm lucky enough to have a husband who does most of the laundry.

2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in? I have a case for my crochet hooks, but I have so many knitting needles they are kind of everywhere. Right now, most of the circs are in an plastic school supply box, and some of them are in a small felted purse. My Denise's are in their case, and my straights are laying on my desk, rubberbanded together. I keep meaning to make a case for my circs, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced? I learned to knit in 1978 (?) from my Aunt Ruth. She lived far away (I was too young to remember where), so after she got me started, my mom helped with problems, but I mainly learned the rest from books. My mom preferred crochet, so I almost never saw her knitting. I'd consider myself intermediate.

4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list? Amazon, there's a link on my sidebar.

5. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products, etc.) I like mostly fruity or spicy scents as long as they aren't too sweet or two overpowering. I also like Jasmine and lavender. Right now my favorite candle is Pumpkin Spice and my current lotion is Warm Vanilla Sugar.

6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy? Definitely Chocolate - anything chocolate is good, especially with nuts. Other candy? Twizzlers, lemon drops, sour gummy things.

7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin? I've been resisting spinning...I'm afraid I'll get really hooked on it, and it will take over everything. I used to quilt a LOT, but knitting seems to have taken over my crafting life the last few years. I'm also an occasional cross-stitcher and scrapbooker.

8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD.) I can play MP3s. I like a little bit of everything, except heavy metal. I favor musicians who play the piano. My favorites are Ben Folds and Harry Connick Jr. I also like alternative music, music from the 80s, lounge music from the 40s-60s (think Sinatra, Stan Getz, etc.) Oldies from the 50s-60s, country, classical, I'm just kinda of all over the place with music.

9. What's your favorite color(s)? Any colors you just can't stand? I love a deep red, and am always drawn to purples, blues and greens and anything in between. I tend to stay away from yellows, oranges, and beiges because I don't look good in those colors. Lately I have also had an attraction to deep dark browns.

10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets? Married, 3 year old son, 14 month old daughter, 5 year old dog.

11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos? All of the above. Well, not on the poncho. I have one I knitted, but I think its way too big, so it's in the frog pile to become something smaller.

12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit? Hmmm. I've been buying a lot of yarn for cardigans lately (for me), but I also like knitting anything for my kids or socks for anyone because they go fast. I also like knitting lace.

13. What are you knitting right now? Right now, I'm finishing the Mystery Stole 2 from fingering weight merino I dyed myself, finishing a stockinette stitch / lacy cardigan from Lion Brand Microspun, and just started the Knit Picks Palette Fair Isle Cardigan, and the Twisty Turns Wrap from Wrap Style. I also have several sock yarns just itching to be on the needles.

14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts? Yes!

15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic? I like my plastic Bryspun straights for lace, and circulars for just about everything else. I like my plastic Denise circulars, and have just tried the Addi circulars in the last few months (love them!). I usually knit socks on Bamboo DPNS, but want to learn the socks on 2 circs method (I already have the book and KnitPicks circs to try it with ). I have some cheapy cheap aluminum circulars that I'm getting rid of as soon as I replace them - probably with the Knit Picks options set.

16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift? Yes, both.

17. How old is your oldest UFO? Ugh - the Microspun cardigan is pretty old, but I think I have another UFO even older, a chenille vest I've never discussed. It just needs a crochet edging. Last time I did a crochet edging it turned out horribly, so I have a phobia about them now. It's probably at least five years old, maybe even six or seven.

18. What is your favorite holiday? Christmas!

19. Is there anything that you collect? Anything with dragonflies, some ladybugs, and the Longaberger Christmas basket series.

20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have? I subscribe to Interweave Knits. I've been wanting Poetry in Stitches for years, and I just won a used copy on ebay! I'd like to do one of Alice Starmore's sweaters too. I've also been wanting to try the Austermann Step sock yarn. None of my LYS here carry it, but I found some last weekend in Kansas. I bought the only skein they had, it was one of the greens, either Grass or Hunter. I've also been wanting to try Trekking XXL sock yarn.

21. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn? I just started my first fair isle sweater, I want to try Entrelac, and I have several different methods I want to try for socks (toe-up, socks on two circs, different heels, etc.).

22. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements? I am a fairly new sock knitter, only two pair so far. One had a heel flap and the other was a short row heel. I'd consider myself an advanced beginner when it comes to socks. I wear a size 9M shoe.

23. When is your birthday? (mm/dd) March 25.

No comments: