Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Kniting MacGyver



So, what's a girl to do when she plans to finish a sock on her lunch hour, but forgets her notions bag? What would MacGyver do? Well, I don't know, but here's what I did:

I took a small paperclip, unbent the small loop out of the big loop, so that it looked like an "S" of sorts. (Sorry, I didn't take a picture of this.)

Then I straighted out the larger loop, as straight as I could.

I used my staple puller to compress the smaller loop into a smaller "eye." Then I wrapped scotch tape around around the end of the wire to prevent any snags, and to make a handle of sorts. I had so much taped wrapped that it made a ridge, so I had to wrap more, but less concentrated, to taper the ridge down.

Finally, I determined what length needle I wanted, scored the metal with my scissors, and bent the wire back and forth until it broke.

I used the emery board to smooth the end so it wouldn't have any snags.

I did manage to impress myself pretty well, if I do say so myself. If anyone sees the need for photo laden tutorial of this handy dandy fix, let me know.

This was supposed to be "bulleted" for easy of reading the steps, but Blogger isn't cooperating.

2 comments:

Ilix said...

LMAO!!!
That is truly knitting inovation!
You rock!

Robin said...

that is SO FUNNY! you are totally the MacGyver of knitting! As the title would suggest, LOL!